Coventry's Premier Non-League Football Club


Proud to be an F.A. Charter Standard Club

29th August 2009

Sphinx make remarkable comeback.....

by Randy Forder at Sphinx Drive. Photos below by Mick Evans.


Coventry Sphinx  4 v 4  Stourport Swifts


At the moment if you want to see a goal fest get yourself down to Sphinx Drive, after Tuesday's game against Boldmere which Sphinx won 5-2 the crowd at Sphinx Drive were treated to a 8 goal thriller this time round.


Before hand though a minute's silence was impeccably observed by all in attendance for four local members of the British Armed Forces sadly lost in combat in Afghanistan in recent days. Those remembered were Sergeant Simon Valentine (Bedworth), Fusilier Louis Carter (Nuneaton), Lance Corporal James Fullarton (Bell Green) and most recently Fusilier Shaun Bush (Stoke Aldermoor).

When the football began Sphinx started well with Donaldson and Murdock causing problems for the Swifts defence who looked prone to pace. But it was Swifts who drew first blood scoring a headed goal from Jones on 7 minutes.


Sphinx shrugged this set back off and started to control the game, with Murdock looking to capitalise and just failing going close with a raising shot over the bar. In the space of 8 minutes though Sphinx were 3 down with another headed goal from a corner by Jukes on 18 minutes then a needless penalty was given away as the defence failed to clear their lines and instead upended Wood in the box and Joyce despatched the penalty to make it 3-0.

The scoreline did not do Sphinx justice with the way they were controlling the game from open play but worse was to come on 35 minutes when Mead was caught in possession on the edge of the box by Wood who placed the ball past a on-rushing O'Neill to make it 4-0.

The crowd could of well thought the tie was dead and buried for Sphinx but not the boys in Sky Blue and White urged on by a particularly vocal dugout to produce a dazzling 4 minute spell of football to change the tie's momentum.


Jerome Murdock scored a sublime lifeline for Sphinx cutting across 3 challenges from the right before unleashing a unstoppable shot past Evans in the Swifts goal on 41 minutes. Sphinx Manager Danny McSheffrey made 2 changes Gary Mead, with a dead leg, was replaced by Tom Muldoon at right back and Paul Green was sacrificed for Adrian Fisher in midfield and McSheffrey made a formation change going from 4-4-2 to a more attacking 4-3-3.

Adrian Fisher reduced the arrears on 44 minutes with his first touch when he curled a lovely 25 yard free kick into the top left hand corner of Evans goal. With celebrations just settling down on the Sphinx bench more was to come as Murdock rose at the far post to nod in Woodward's free kick on the stoke of half time.

The second half started with Sphinx pushing Swifts back at every opportunity and it was not long before Sphinx were on level terms with the goal of the game. Murdock received the ball in midfield and sent Muldoon rushing down the right. His pace took him past 2 defenders before crossing for Donaldson to notch at the far post on 55 minutes.


Now it was all one way traffic with Donaldson and Muldoon causing havoc down the right and Murdock a constant threat for the Swifts defence.

Sphinx peppered the Swifts goal and must be wondering how they did not get a winner. Woodward had a shot cleared off the line, Phillips screwed a header just wide and had another header that fell kindly into the 'keeper's arms. Murdock hit the side netting, a goal mouth scramble ended with Swifts clearing their lines and Donaldson had a cross which evaded Phillips and Murdock by inches.

Swifts themselves went close on 2 occasions with the dangerous Pattison crossing for Benbow who could only hit a shot over the bar.
So the referee blew for full time and Swifts must be kicking themselves for letting a 4-0 lead go and Sphinx must be happy for still being in the round but also wondering how they did not win the game.


The battle will be rejoined on Tuesday night at Stourport, kick off 7.45pm, with a home tie against Rushall Olympic in the next round the prize for the victors.


Sphinx: C. O'Neil, G. Mead, J. Holmes, K. Rhodes, J. McAteer, L. Kay, A. Donaldson, C. Woodward, K. Phillips, J. Murdock, P. Green. subs: , L. Simmons, T. Bryce, T. Muldoon, A. Fisher, L. Hopkins, C. Wilson-King.


Stourport: P. Evans, C. Duggan, N. Clayton, N. Jukes, D Wittall Williams, A. Jones, J. Insall, J. Price, W. Joyce, M. Benbow, T. Wood. subs: B. pattison, S. Towers, L. Whittington, J. Triana, S. Morris.


Attendance: 108


















photos copyright and courtesy of Mick Evans @ KORU Digital

In the Press:

Swifts pegged back in cup thriller

3:49pm Sunday 30th August 2009, www.kidderminstershuttle.co.uk


Coventry Sphinx 4, Stourport Swifts 4


Swifts will be wondering how they managed to allow MFA side Coventry Sphinx back into this FA Cup preliminary round tie after cruising into a four-goal lead inside 35 minutes.

But their hosts turned the tables and were back in the game before half-time thanks to three goals in four frantic minutes.

Skipper Andy Jones headed Stourport into a seventh minute lead with the impressive Nathan Jukes heading a second, from a corner, on 18 minutes.

Wes Joyce stretched the lead with a 25th minute penalty after a foul on Troy Wood and a place in the next round looked a formality when Wood added his name to the scoresheet with a well-placed effort beyond Sphinx keeper Carl O’Neill.

But the home side were handed a lifeline on 41 minutes when powerful Jerome Murdock skipped through three challenges before firing home.

Substitute Adrian Fisher then curled a free-kick into the roof of Paul Evans’ goal with his first touch before Murdock headed his second on the stroke of half-time.

Sphinx netted their equaliser ten minutes into the second half. Murdock was involved in the build-up but it was Aaron Donaldson who slotted home at the far post.

Both sides had chances to net the winner with Mark Benbow going closest for Swifts with a shot that cleared the crossbar.

The sides meet at Walshes Meadow on Tuesday (ko 7.45pm) with the winners at home to Rushall Olympic in the next round.

Swifts: Evans 6, Duggan 7, Clayton 6, Jones 8, Wittal-Williams 7, Insull 7 (Whittington 67, 6), Wood 7 (Triana 62, 7), JUKES 8 (Morris 84 6), Price 7, Joyce 7, Benbow 7. Subs (not used): Pattison, Towers.


FA Cup Preliminary Round review
By David Gladwin - Saturday, 29 August, 2009, www.thefa.com

The FA Cup sponsored by E.ON
Preliminary Round
Saturday 29 August 2009
Winning clubs receive £1500

There was FA Cup action up and down the country on Saturday

There were goals galore in an action-packed day of football in The FA Cup Preliminary Round on Saturday, with 97 games played in all.

Northern Premier League side Bamber Bridge were among the days biggest victors, with a thumping 6-0 home win over Runcorn Linnets while North Lincolnshire’s Winterton Rangers were also amongst the goals, dispatching St Andrews 6-1.

Another Lincolnshire side, Barton Town Old Boys, kept fans entertained at the Euronics Ground with a 6-3 victory over Kirby Muxloe while in Essex, Witham Town were on the wrong end of the same scoreline against London Colney.

Royston Town enjoyed a nailbiting 1-0 victory at local rivals Hoddesdon Town and there were also impressive away victories for Hellenic Football League side Kidlington, Slough Town of the Southern League and Essex-based Concord Rangers.

However, a replay will be required to settle the thriller between Midlands side Coventry Shinx and Worcestershire's Stourport Swifts after the teams played out an end-to-end 4-4 draw at Sphinx Drive.

But there was no need for a rematch in Suffolk, where Needham Market romped to a 4-0 victory over Wisbech Town while Midland Football Combination side Castle Vale were similarly emphatic in dispatching Warwickshire’s Studley 5-1.

Meanwhile, Whitley Bay, a team with Wembley experience having triumphed in last season’s FA Vase, kept their Cup dream alive with a 2-1 win at Newcastle Bentfield.