Coventry's Premier Non-League Football Club


Proud to be an F.A. Charter Standard Club

3rd November 2009

Sphinx out at first hurdle....

by Kev Monks.


Coventry Sphinx  1 v 3  Nuneaton Town


Coventry Sphinx went out of the Birmingham Senior Cup with a First Round home defeat to Nuneaton Town tonight.

Having observed a minute's silence for former manager Willie Knibbs, who was killed eight years ago coming back from a 2-0 win at Meir KA, and a minute's applause for Paul Gibbons whose life was tragically taken from him last week, it was the visitors fielding a very strong team who were ahead inside six minutes.

Loanee from Coventry City, Adam Walker, was one of those included in a ‘Boro side which will see many of those who played in this match taking on Exeter City in the FA Cup on Saturday. The midfielder, who netted on his last appearance at Sphinx Drive was involved in a move which saw the ball come over from the right and Chris Dillon rose to head home.

Man Of The Match for Sphinx was keeper Carl O'Neill and after Terry Ward had cleared off the line as Gez Murphy got clear, O'Neill made three excellent saves in the space of four minutes to deny Spacey, Murphy and Hadland.

However, two minutes before the break, he was helpless as former Coventry City youngster Chris Hollist was sent on his way following an error in midfield and finished with a low drive to put Nuneaton two goals up at the break.

Seven minutes into the second half, Nuneaton were awarded a penalty by referee Mr Patterson when Dillon was fouled in the area whilst attempting to get to a Murphy pass. The Sphinx bench were fuming that they had not been awarded a throw in before the incident but it was all smiles as Murphy put the spot kick to his right and O'Neill brilliantly got down to save.

In the 69th minute, Nuneaton went 3-0 up as a Chris Dillon cross from the left went into the net off Callum Woodward.

Back came Sphinx, who had been starting to threaten the Nuneaton defence and Adam Kinder created space inside the area to get in a right footed shot which took a massive deflection and sent the ball over the keeper into the net.

Danny McSheffrey's side continued to pressure with Donaldson, Kinder, Chris Wilson King and a spectacular 35 yard effort from Callum Woodward in the final minute flying just wide of the post but it was Nuneaton who ended an enjoyable game played in an excellent spirit as the opponents for Banbury United in the second round.


C. O'Neill, T. Muldoon, D. Doherty, J. Halton (R. Manak 27), T. Ward, J. McAteer, A. Donaldson, C. Woodward, K. Phillips (T. Haywood 60), A. Kinder, J. Ruff (C. Wilson King 73) not used: C. Goodbody, C. Daffern.


Nuneaton: Needham, Armson, Matthews, Hadland, Pittham (Oddy 67), Pierpoint, Stacey, Walker, Murphy (Marsden 75), Dillon, Hollist (Moore 63).not used: Dean, Nisevic


Attendance: 188


In the Press: