Coventry's Premier Non-League Football Club


Proud to be an F.A. Charter Standard Club


Sphinx Rue Missed Penalty.

by Randy Forder


Sphinx 1 Heath Hayes 2


Sphinx will consider themselves slightly unlucky not to share the points against bottom of the table Heath Hayes.

Sphinx gave Kieran Johal his full debut along with new signings Matt Bannister, Matt Stone and James Martin. Sphinx dominated the first we Isyeden Christie have a back post header well saved by the Heath Hayes keeper, Ricky Cutting went close twice with shots across the keeper and was just inches away from converting a Rob Stevenson cross.

Heath Hayes caught Sphinx on the break but forward Waple was out foxed by Martin in the Sphinx goal when one on one with the keeper. the first goal came on 28 minutes against the run of play when under pressure martin failed to get clearance on a punch and in the melee that ensued Bradley Grice fired the ball into the back of the net. Sphinx had only half chances up to half time where they went in trailing to that solitary goal.


The second half got under way with Heath Hayes now having the better of the possession. Brice called Martin into action with a powerful cross shot which martin turned round the post. Much of the game up until the 60th minute was much tit for tat but on in the 60th minute was the turning point of the game. A cross from Muldoon saw Rhodes being tumbled to the ground to give Sphinx a penalty. Christie stepped up but his weakly struck penalty was easily saved by the Heath Hayes keeper. On 63 minutes Heath Hayes doubled there lead. Matt Stone tried to shepherd the ball out for a corner but Dave Waple, last seasons Golden Boot winner, got a foot on the ball raced into the area and gave Martin no chance to put Heath Hayes 2-0 up.


Manager Luke Hopkins then made 2 quick substitutions with Kiam Gladins replacing Rob Stevenson and Danny Fraser coming on for Kieran Johal. Sphinx pushed forward to get the goal to get them back into the game but also let them be prone to the counter attack. Heath Hayes nearly got a third when Waple blazed over from just inside the box. Gladins was causing Heath Hayes problems and nearly scored with a spectacular over head kick.


Sphinx got back into the came when Fraser delivered a pin point cross for Rhodes to score at the back post on 81 minutes. Sphinx pushed for the equaliser with a half chance put over by Christie but it was not to be as the Referee bizarrely blew with 4 minutes still left on the clock.


Luke Hopkins said " We played well in the first half and should on another day had 3 goals. Considering there were 4 debuts today I thought we done well. I will take the positives from the game and build on them as we look forward to Mondays cup against Coleshill Town"