Coventry's Premier Non-League Football Club


Proud to be an F.A. Charter Standard Club

2nd October 2012

Sphinx Into The Next Round...

by Kev Monks at Sphinx Drive


Coventry Sphinx  3 v 2  Coleshill Town


Coventry Sphinx left it late to win their first Polymac Midland Alliance League Cup tie since they won the competition in 2009 with a 3-2 First Round victory over Coleshill Town.

Sphinx Drive witnessed a thoroughly entertaining and at times fascinating display. James Martin was called into action first when he made a one handed save from Carter in the fifth minute The play was fast and frantic as both sides showed nerves. Sphinx started to find their rhythm and in the 15th minute Rhodes went wide from a Cutting cross and then won a free kick and a corner which came to nothing.

Coleshill rattled the woodwork in the 23rd minute before Paul Saunders had Sphinx's best effort with a 32nd minute curler. Three minutes later the impressive Kiam Gladins whipped in a shot that brought the Pace in to action in the Coleshill goal.

The next time Pace touched the ball he was picking it out the net. A good move ensued down the right involving Johal, Saunders and Cutting with the latter putting in a cross down the right which caused some confusion in the defensive ranks it was Gladins who made the most of the loose ball and lashed it into the net to see Sphinx take a 37th minute lead.

It was a lead that lasted until five minutes into the second half when Coleshill were awarded a free kick on the left and Ryan Duxby’s kick deceived the home defence and creeped into the bottom corner.

Coleshill were now pushing forward and had to shots flash past the Sphinx post. Jarvis then found himself with room in the area but his shot was well saved by Martin. Against the run of play Sphinx took the lead when again a hopeful ball into the area found Rhodes who turned a squeezed his shot inside the near post.

However, Coleshill, managed by former Leeds United player Justin Lanns, were as equally plucky as Sphinx and in the 73rd minute, Barry Fitzharris was on hand to equalise for a second time Carter ran a ball down the right and turned inside Holmes to set up Fitzharris who made no mistake.

Hopkins the Sphinx manager then made 2 quick changes with Barrett replacing Saunders and Youth team player Jordan replacing Cudworth.

Coleshill then hit the bar with a cross come shot as the game looked to be heading onto extra time but Sphinx went on one last attack. Barrett carried the ball from his own half into Coleshill territory and whipped in a great back post cross where Jordan rose and headed the ball home with much jubilation and relief in the Sphinx crowd and dugout.

"We again done well first half and deserved our lead, but the 2nd half we played to deep and allowed ourselves to be dominated. Once we learn to play for the full 90 minutes win more of the second ball and start having some belief we will become a better team" said Sphinx manager Luke Hopkins.

Sphinx: Martin, Johal, Fraser, D.Barrett, Holmes, Long, Saunders (S.Barrett 78), Rhodes, Cudworth (Jordan 71), Gladins, Cutting. SNU Bilic, Stevenson, Guest

Coleshill: Pace, Keenan, Gasiewski, Fitzharris, Bradbury, Dickie, Duxby, Lee, Travis, Carter, Wilson. Subs Rahesey, O’Beirne, Gayle, Mansell, Conlon



Attendance: 37


In the Press: