Coventry's Premier Non-League Football Club


Proud to be an F.A. Charter Standard Club

12th November 2012

Extra Time Agony...

by Kev Monks.


Coventry Sphinx 2 v 3 Boldmere (AET)


Coventry Sphinx went out of the Polymac League Cup with a Second Round extra time defeat to Boldmere St Michaels.

After a minute's silence to remember former player and Manager Willie Knibbs Sphinx were straight on the attack with Kiam Galdins firing into the side netting in the opening seconds when a square ball to the unmarked Kieron Johal might have been a better option.

Ashley Jackson fired at the keeper from a fourth minute corner and four minutes later, Galdins headed a free kick into the side netting.

Saturday's league game had failed to produce a goal but In the 13th minute and against the run of play, Boldmere countered down the right through Kirk Smith and the ball came across to the edge of the area for Joe Smith to thump high into the net.

Five minutes later, there was something for the Sphinx support to get excited about when a great move down the right involving Johal, Muldoon and Cutting with the latter firing in a cross for Harry White to beat the keeper from close range.

Weller won a corner for the visitors just before the half hour mark and Rose blasted over six minutes later.  

With five minutes of the half remaining, a mazy run from Maye won the first of two corners which Sphinx defended.  Sphinx attacked down the right again and Muldoon's lofted cross was met powerfully by Harry White to head against the over the despairing Feeney and into the net.

Sphinx came out in the second with all guns blazing and eleven minutes into the second half, Sphinx were awarded a penalty for a handball but with their normal penalty taker Kiam Galdins substituted, Harry White took the spot kick and hit Feeney's right hand post. 

Luke Hopkins side, who were working hard in what was a keenly contested affair, but were having the majority of the chances Cutting had an effort easily saved by Feeney. White had a shot charged down and the rebound was met by Fraser which just skimmed wide with Feeney well beaten.

Boldmere came back winning two corners and on the second, the ball was bundled in at the near post by Neil Watkins. Sphinx never took there foot off the pedal and with four minutes the excellent Louis Guest hit the post from a corner before the game went into extra time.

Boldmere were first to attack and McNally struck the cross bar with a free kick and soon took a lead in the 93rd minute, Boldmere got a free kick and Joe Smith took full advantage headed in to send the visitors 3-2 up.

Sphinx again went close when feeney pulled off a great double save first from Cutting then somehow deflected Fraser return shot over the bar. The second half was to and fro but again Sphinx failed to take the chances that fell to them.

Sphinx may feel hard done by but two very good performances against a top three side will yield more positives than negatives.

Sphinx next game is against Gornal in the FA Vase 2nd round at Sphinx Drive this coming Saturday.